I am often inspired by my travels to create dishes and drinks that replicate the flavors of some of my favorite vacations. If there is one drink that simply screams, “VACATION,” it is the Mojito.
I indulged in a poolside mojito this summer and it was a deliciously minty lime indulgence that I couldn’t wait to replicate. The price tag for this delicious poolside drink was a whopping eighteen dollars! The price tag on my version is a mere two or three in supplies per drink and will make you feel like you are on vacation…even when you are only in your own backyard.
The trick to creating a great mojito is all in using the freshest ingredients, selecting a great white rum, and taking the time to prepare a simple sugar syrup that you can have on hand for all of your drinks. Having a few fun straws or paper umbrellas can up the wow-factor on this and will let your whole family know that you will be on vacation for the evening.
The Perfect Mojito
Author: Amy Allen Clark
Recipe type: Drink
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons of prepared simple syrup (see directions below)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 ounces white rum
- ½ cup club soda
- Place mint leaves and 2 lime wedges into a sturdy glass jar.
- Use a muddler to crush the mint and lime to release the mint oils and lime juice. If you don’t have a muddler like me, just use the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add 2 more lime wedges and your prepared sugar syrup, and muddle again to release the lime juice. Do not strain the mixture.
- Fill the glass almost to the top with ice.
- Pour the rum over the ice, and fill the glass with carbonated water.
- Stir, taste, and add more prepared sugar syrup, if desired.
How to Prepare Your Simple Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir constantly until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to three months. This same syrup is great with a little peppermint added for my infamous peppermint mochas.
Find this and many other fun recipes & ideas in the summer issue of Splendidly Homemade Magazine!