If there is one thing our family loves it is anything that combines shrimp and pasta. Despite trying a lot of things in the kitchen, I had never infused oil before and used it in a dish. When I happened upon this recipe for Roasted Shrimp with Rosemary & Thyme using the technique of infusing the oil with herbs, I just knew that it would be delicious combination of flavors.
Infused oils add so much flavor to food and can be simply done by warming the oil with a selection of herbs from your grocery store or garden. The flavor from the herbs incorporates into the oils and adds a rich depth of flavor that is incomparable to your standard olive oil. I adapted the recipe and added my own fresh lemon juice and zest to add more fresh flavor to the pasta and the incorporation of the salty pasta water created a delicious sauce to our pasta that rivals any restaurant.
The best part was that the kitchen smelled heavenly while this was cooking and our whole family agreed that this recipe needs to be repeated often in our house. Toss this infused oil and roasted shrimp with your favorite whole grain pasta or brown rice for a healthy start to the new year or be sinful like us and really indulge with angel hair pasta and lots of bread for mopping up the sauce.
Roasted Shrimp With Rosemary & Thyme
- 6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 large fresh rosemary sprigs, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 lb. extra-large shrimp (26 to 30 per lb.), peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- Reserved Pasta Water (a ladle or two)
- Kosher salt
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
- Pour the oil into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Add the thyme, rosemary, 1 tsp. pepper, and zest of one lemon, and bake until the oil mixture is fragrant, about 12 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the dish and toss with tongs until coated. Bake the shrimp until pink and firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, ½ tsp. salt, and juice of one lemon; toss well, and let rest at room temperature until the oil cools slightly, about 5 minutes. Discard the herbs.
- Prepare your pasta or rice. If preparing pasta, toss your pasta with the shrimp and oil, adding a ladle or two of pasta water to create your sauce. Serve immediately.