This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ALDI.
If there is one thing I have learned over my years of surfing on Pinterest it’s that anything bacon and anything coffee is always a hit (and not just with me!).
Today I wanted to pair these two flavors together in a Maple Coffee Bacon that your whole family will love. The inspiration for this project came along with the opportunity to try the new Barissimo line of premium coffee products that are available at your local ALDI store.
Since you know I am a regular shopper, I had noticed the new line on the store shelves and was intrigued. The packaging is beautiful and the product feels very high-end, but a whole bag of ground coffee is a mere $3.99. It is, seriously, a steal!
This line features nine bagged and single serve coffee items, along with additional seasonal and Special Buy items that will be available for a limited time. Pictured below are a few of the ones that I found on my store shelves this week.
The Barissimo line, available exclusively at ALDI, includes the following (and here are the prices on these items too) for my fellow frugal shoppers:
Ready-to-drink Iced Coffees (French Vanilla, Mocha and Coffee) – $1.19
Whole Bean Coffee (Morning Roast and Donut Store) – $3.99
Fair Trade Coffee (Medium and Dark Roast) – $3.99
Donut Store Ground Coffee – $3.99
12 oz. Bag Coffee (Breakfast Blend, House Blend, and French Roast) – $3.99
Assorted Flavored Coffee (French Vanilla and Hazelnut) – $4.99
Flavored Coffee Cups (French Vanilla and Hazelnut) – $4.79
Regular Roast Coffee Cups (Breakfast and Donut) – $4.79
Specialty Roast Coffee Cups (Fair Trade Colombian and Dark Roast) – $4.79
Ever since a trip last year to NOLA, I have been thinking about the embarrassing pile of praline bacon I ate in one of the local restaurants that my brother took me too. Bacon that tastes like candy? How could that be bad?
I loved the candied sweetness of the bacon, but I love to add on to that layer of flavor with something to cut the sweet and I decided the Fair Trade Dark Roast Coffee paired with the thick sliced Maple Flavored Bacon would be a delightful combination.
If you haven’t tried the coffee itself, the dark roast is delightfully full-bodied and strong. It’s the kind of coffee that a mom who has to get her kids on the bus in the morning can really embrace.
As I had suspected, this delicious dark roast coffee was just what this sweet bacon needed to balance it out. The coarseness of the ground coffee adds an element of texture and the brown sugar glaze made from freshly brewed coffee and brown sugar is brushed on to each side of the bacon to create that delightful layering of flavors.
Since this bacon is so sweet, you don’t want to pair this one with another sweet breakfast item. I recommend an easy frittata for balance, a little fresh fruit, and a big mug of coffee (of course!).
Now run over to your local ALDI and snag a bag of this delicious coffee for yourself- at a price like that, you have nothing to lose!
Maple Bacon Coffee
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 pound Specially Selected Maple Thick Sliced Bacon
- 1 tablespoon Barrisimo Fair Trade Dark Roast Ground Coffee
- ½ cup packed Baker’s Corner Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly brewed Barrisimo Fair Trade Dark Roast Ground Coffee
- Note- *Some of these items are Special Buy or Seasonal items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment or waxed paper and set a flat rack on top. Lay bacon strips on rack, overlapping slightly if needed. Sprinkle top of strips evenly with ground coffee. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and brewed coffee, stirring just to blend to a paste. Brush top of strips with half of sugar mixture. Bake 15 minutes. Turn bacon over and brush with remaining sugar glaze. Bake until crispy, 10-15 minutes more.