Today’s post will conclude our make-ahead Thanksgiving feast that I have been working so diligently to prepare for the site (and for our guests). Today I am sharing a foolproof bread machine roll that is perfect to make and freeze for the holiday season. These buttery bread machine rolls are my go-to bread recipe for the holidays because they always turn out perfectly and can be dressed up with whatever is in the cupboard or refrigerator for topping and personalizing.
I adore my bread machine and use it every single week in my house for our Friday night pizza nights as well as cinnamon rolls for weekend treats or just these rolls for our holiday feasts. Be sure to read my Bread Machine 101 article for some background information on how to use a bread machine in your house. If you don’t have one, my last three I have gotten (yes, I actually have had three bread machines over the last ten years because I use them that much) have been found at garage sales and thrift shops for $15-20! Be sure to check there when doing your shopping!
There is just so much to love about this roll recipe. First of all, it isn’t sticky or hard to work with at all. Secondly, it is quick to shape. Third, it rises like a dream. And fourth, you can customize the rolls to your heart’s delight. In year’s past we have added a cinnamon butter on the side or brushed with butter and a generous shake of cinnamon & sugar. The rolls I baked up tonight accompanied our weeknight chicken noodle soup and were brushed with a little butter, salt, and dried rosemary for a yummy finish.
If you have never made rolls before, try making a practice batch for your Thanksgiving feast, like I have shown here. One batch of rolls will yield approximately 15 rolls. Freeze them after shaping, up to one entire month, and then pull them out of the freezer the night before your big day. Allow them to rise overnight then bake as directed.
These are so beautiful and so delicious, don’t be surprised if they are the only thing everyone talks about at dinner!
On that final note, thank you all for joining in on all the make-ahead Thanksgiving Day fun. I am so proud to have my entire feast in the freezer and I can’t wait for you to have less stress around the holidays too!
Make Ahead Buttery Bread Machine Rolls
Author: Amy Clark
Recipe type: Side
- 1 cup milk (110 degrees F.)
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
- Place all ingredients in (in order given), in bread pan of your bread machine.
- Select DOUGH setting and press start.
- When dough cycle has finished, remove dough from pan and turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Shape pieces of dough into balls and place in a greased pan to make the rolls. Allow to rise one hour before baking.
- If freezing, freeze now (for up to one month).
- Before baking, allow rolls to thaw completely and rise overnight.
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake in a regular oven approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until they are a light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Brush with butter and favorite blend of seasonings or herbs (optional)