Preparing a butternut squash for a soup can be time consuming and back breaking work, especially if there is a lot of dicing and chopping involved. Today I want to show an easy way to cook butternut squash with the skin on for your soups that requires minimal effort, a single slice, and yields delicious and soft squash that can be instantly pureed for your soups. Cooking a butternut squash with the skin on can be done either in the oven or in the microwave with ease. Today's tutorial showcases my easy way of preparation.
If you have not cooked with a butternut squash before, you are in for a real treat. Butternut squash is a winter squash and is also known as a butternut pumpkin in other regions of the world. It has the same sweet and nutty taste that is similar to my favorite Fall ingredient
and can be prepared in a variety of ways.
The best part about butternut squashes, in my opinion, is that they are relatively inexpensive and can keep for months in a cool dark place, making it a great frugal ingredient to rely upon when times are more lean or the pantry is bare. Stock up on this ingredient when it goes on sale and roast it for easy side dishes, create delicious soups with it, or add it into your favorite Fall casseroles. The possibilities with this ingredient are truly endless!
|How to Cook a Butternut Squash With the Skin On
Recipe Type: Main
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 2 mins
This is the easiest way to prepare a squash with minimal work
- Butternut Squash- Cook as many as you like at the same time and freeze the vegetable for cooking all season long.
- Preheat your oven at 400 degrees.
- Prick your butternut squash with a fork.
- Cook your squash for one hour. Allow it to cool.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Scoop the flesh out of the squash. It should be soft and pull away easily away from the skin.
- Alternate Microwave Instructions: Wash the squash in cool running water and pat dry. Use a knife to pierce several holes in the squash. Place the butternut squash in a large microwavable shallow dish, and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove the dish from the microwave. Use a large knife to cut the squash in half. Spoon out the seeds and discard. Place the squash, cut side down, back in the dish and microwave for 5 more minutes. The squash's flesh should feel tender. Leave it in the microwave to stand for another 5 minutes. Use the squash in your favorite recipes.
Be sure to visit my Butternut Squash Soup with Toasted Pecans
recipe for a delicious Fall soup addition that the whole family will love!
What are your favorite ways to prepare butternut squash? Do you have a recipe to share with this ingredient? Feel free to link it up below!