Today is our son’s fourth birthday! It is hard to believe that he is already that old, but time with him is passing so quickly. Since we are having a day of celebration, I will keep this post brief.
I think, as moms, we just don’t treat ourselves enough. Worse yet, we feel guilty about it. Sometimes I just feel like I am on overload with guilt- guilt from not keeping up with things around the house, guilt as the laundry mounts, guilt for not spending as much time as I would like with family…Just a big ugly dose of guilt. It is sad that we put this on ourselves and we need to realize that moms are human just like everyone else. Maybe I stand alone in this guilt, but I just had to mention why I think it is important for women to give themselves a break from it.
Every Friday, I have been trying to treat myself in some small (and free) way. Friday doesn’t have to be your day, it is just the day that I enjoy & look forward to the most. Here are some examples of things that I indulge in on Fridays:
1. Official Foot Soak Friday day. I purchased (a brand new boxed) Conair foot spa for my feet from a yard sale that I went to (only $5). Since I got this, Friday has been my official day for soaking my feet. I fill it up with water and soak my feet while I read a library book. A girlfriend suggested maybe adding powdered milk to the foot soak bath, to help soften the skin, so I am going to give that idea a try today. You don’t need a fancy foot spa for feet soaking- a dish tub works just as good and achieves the same results.
2. A long soak in the tub, with a glass of wine, and a magazine that helps me to escape (celebrity magazines always go over really well). I fill the tub with bath oil and just unwind.
3. Good music & a cup of homemade hot chai tea.
4. If I can get out of the house for the evening, I love to go to Barnes and Noble and just look at the books & magazines. I bring a small notebook and just write down the books that I really would like to read. This goes into my Wish List or I hit the library and pick them up there.
5. A movie- and this one is just for me! Lifetime movies on television or I pick a good chick flick up at the library.
Please feel free to share things that you do for yourself- it will help inspire me (and hopefully you) to be good to yourself!