Guest Post by Ina S., Co-Founder of M641
With temps dropping fast and possibly budgets, given the recent round of back-to-school shopping, what’s a frugal fashion-forward mom to do? We picked some key trends straight from the runway that will actually work in your closet and your budget. Here are a few of our fave trends for Fall!
- Faux – You’ll see faux leather, fur and reptile this season. Pick up a military inspired faux leather jacket or faux fur vest to pair with your favorite fitting jeans or a great pair of faux suede boots.
- Draped Fabrics – Flowing draped fabrics are a must. And with cardigans everywhere this season, try yours oversized, and wear it belted or unbelted
- Studs and/or Sequins – You are not going for the blingy look though! Try to think chic rocker-esqe.
- Surrealism – Bring interest into your outfit by adding texture and intrigue. Find dreamy, earthy, artistic jewelry or accessories. Think of these pieces as conversation pieces!
- Carry All Purses – Larger purses are in, but not those enormous ones. Conversely, clutches are also very on trend this season.
- Graphic Tees – Use these pieces as a fun element to your wardrobe for layering. Look for screen print graphics that you connect with personally.
- Color With Color – Mix purples, reds & gray for Fall 09. Shift your thinking about gray. It’s not drab…it’s classic. This Fall use it as your main backdrop then sprinkle in color by wearing a purple scarf and red nail polish.
Harness your inner rocker-chick while staying realistic in the overall outcome of your outfit. We love high-waisted (very slimming) leggings paired with a cool graphic tee or tank top and layered up with a swingy cardigan. Change up the look by belting the cardigan with a studded belt. The addition of cool sunglasses and a favorite “it” bag will help you achieve a trendy but functional Fall ensemble.
When seeking out your new Fall closet additions, a big consideration of course is cost. Another is making your dollar count for something. We put this inspiration board together for you featuring emerging and indie brands. Many of the brands featured here stand for more than just the latest trends. This Fall and Winter you may enjoy investigating lesser-known labels, and along the way find gems that are an extension of your own personality.
Whether you believe in going green, giving to a greater good or are most interested in looking good, remember to have fun and spend wisely!
1. Classic Fleur Tee $32.00 by Brooklyn Royalty on Smashing Darling 2. Colorful Leather studded bangles, set of 5 (could break up the set to give as gifts!) $46.00 by Michelle V’s jewelry on Smashing Darling 3. Beyond Basic Black Cardigan $42.99 by on ModCloth 4. Ceramic geode pod pendant $9.00 by Tabmade (Lori Phillips) on Etsy 5. Organic Cowl Neck Dress $70.00 on SPUN 6. Juliette Tassled Tote Bag $94 by Deux Lux on Moxsie 7. Faux Fur Elise Vest $47.99 on ModCloth 8. Vegan Bourbon Street Ankle Boots $49.99 on ModCloth 9. Freedom Waist Jacket by M641