I had a rainy day with nothing to do on the horizon. I put on a little Ella Fitzgerald on my laptop and headed into kitchen to spend the morning baking and thinking. I always do my best thinking in the kitchen, don’t you? There is something about the mindless concentration of measuring, scooping, leveling, and mixing that appeals to me. With ripe bananas sitting on the counter, I knew these Banana Crumb Muffins would be the ideal treat for a sweet snack for my kids. Everyone has a favorite recipe for bananas and these Banana Crumb Muffins happen to be my favorite for putting those bananas to good use.
If you are looking for a bakery-worthy recipe, these muffins would be right at home in any bakery. The cinnamon and sugar streusel topping is really what makes these rather ordinary banana muffins stand out. The crunch from the topping with the moist cake makes these a winner in our family.
I love to double the crumb topping on these and keep this in my freezer. It is a fun addition to any of your favorite muffin recipes and makes the process of creating these just a little bit easier the second time around. When you want to use the crumb topping, just use a fork to break the topping up a bit and add as you normally would to your muffins.
Serve these delicious muffins with big glasses of ice cold milk for an easy and satisfying snack.
Banana Crumb Muffins
Recipe type: Dessert
- Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅛ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- 1 T butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease ten muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter.
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut the butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for eighteen to twenty minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean.
Looking for other delicious muffin recipes? I love these Healthy Banana & Blueberry Muffins, these Apple Pie Muffins, and my Lemony Blueberry Muffins for some other fun muffin alternatives!