It is hard to believe that school is just around the corner, but the school supplies have appeared in the stores! In honor of this I’m going to show you an adorable craft you can create for your kids as a back-to-school gift, a centerpiece for a back-to-school dinner together, or as a teacher gift to get the year started off right. The best part about this craft is that you can take full advantage of all of those back-to-school sales and make this for around $20!
Supplies Needed For Your School Supplies Cake: (affiliate links provided for more information)
1 8″x4″H cake form (or “dummy”)
1 box of 50 Crayola Markers
1 box of 12 yellow pencils (unsharpened or sharpened- your choice)
3 packages of colored rubber bands
1 package file folder bands
2 packages of Post-it Notes
Washi tape, chalkboard clip frames, and scissors (or any variety of fun items you have in your craft room- make this your own!)
1. Place your cake form on a cake stand or on a cardboard cake circle to begin. This will help hold your project steady while preparing it.
2. Wrap one file folder band around your cake form. Remove markers from packaging and insert them in, between the band and cake form. Once you have your markers all inserted, add a second band to secure everything together.
3. Take your pencils and begin inserting these between your markers (every four markers or so) to fill out the rest of your cake. Save four of these and use them to frame your Post-it notes.
4. Slip your Post-it Notes in the space leftover, tucking them securely under the bands, as shown in the picture above.
5. Top your cake with rubber bands. Finish with flags made from washi tape or purchase clip-on cardboard labels to write a special message to your kids or teacher. Push the skewers into your cake form to secure.
How cute is this?
And if you’d like another take on a back-to-school supplies cake, here’s another version we created when the kids were younger:
Click here for the steps to create this cake.
Here’s to another great school year!
*this post contains affiliate links- thank you for your support!