Congratulations to Lori (Commenter #12) on winning this $50 giveaway!
I take for granted the abundance of clean water that I am able to drink each and every day. When I think of all of those out there that have no access to clean water, it makes me ashamed that I admitted to you that I rarely drink it.
A quick look at the statistics on Water Partners International, I am able to see the sobering truth about what a beautiful thing it is to have clean water for my family.
- 3.575 million people die each year from water-related disease
- 43% of water-related deaths are due to diarrhea.
- 84% of water-related deaths are in children ages 0- 14.
- 98% of water-related deaths occur in the developing world.
- 884 million people, lack access to safe water supplies, approximately one in eight people.
- The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns
- At any given time, half of the world’s hospital beds are occupied by patients suffering from a water-related disease.
- Less than 1% of the world’s fresh water (or about 0.007% of all water on earth) is readily accessible for direct human use.
- An American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than the typical person living in a developing country slum uses in a whole day.
Yes, the facts are grim and it saddens me deeply to know that so few people have the great privilege of drinking crystal clear water that comes straight from their sink each day. I don’t have to haul water in pails for my family, I can wash my clothes in clean water, and I don’t have to worry about my family’s health when we drink our water. How blessed am I?
Despite these sad facts there are small ways that you can make a big difference for others. Crystal Light would like you to sign up for the Water Way Challenge so that they can offer assistance to those who do not have access to clean water. Through this campaign, Crystal Light has a goal of assisting 900 million people through this campaign initiative.
To help encourage discussion about hydration, I will be offering a fun giveaway of $50 to one lucky reader each day that I post about this challenge (four opportunities in all). To enter this giveaway, please leave a comment by 06/23 (Tuesday) at 8PM EST and tell me one thing you have learned through this campaign?
If you didn’t already, I encourage you to enter to win $50 from each of our posts:
Would you like additional entries? For each item completed, you can post one additional entry below:
1. Enter the $250 Divine Caroline Giveaway and come back here to let me know you have entered.
2. Subscribe to my blogs, (pick one or subscribe to all three) then leave a comment letting me know you have with. If you are already subscribed, just let me know with your additional entry.
3. Follow me on Twitter (@momadvice) and let me know you are my latest and greatest friend!
Photo Credit: Samaritans Purse
(Please note that this post has been sponsored by Crystal Light. We are happy to be working with the company and sharing the message about hydration and giving others access to clean water through this sponsorship)