I am a huge fan of steam cleaning products because of their eco-friendliness and the streak-free shine you can get by not using a lot of products on your home. I have had a Bissell Steam Mop for a long time and really loved it for my hardwood floors. My only caveat with having the steam mop though was that I had to get out the vacuum and then get out the steam mop when I was done. I wished that there was a product that I could use that would combine the two for storage space and to make the process easier.
Shark 2-in-1 Vac-then-Steam is just that. It is a quick vacuum and it also contains the steam mop in one product. I was intrigued how effective this would work, but it is actually very smartly designed. The base of the vacuum has magnetic pieces that line up to the steam mop attachment and it grabs the mop attachment when it is time to switch from vacuum to steam mop without a lot of effort.
With a house full of laminate flooring and tile, I wanted to share with you the pros and cons of this product!
- The steam mop pad stretches the entire base of the vacuum and is attached with Velcro to the head of the vacuum. There is no need to stretch or try to fit the steam mop pads over anything which has been my biggest gripe with my Bissell Steam Mop. It comes with two pads and the pads are reusable and can be thrown in your washer and dryer to clean.
- The cord on this model is generous and I can do almost my entire kitchen and hallway using the cord without having to unplug and relocate.
- The functionality on the vacuum is smartly designed for ease of switching from the vacuum to the steam mop. Two separate switches are designed on the panel so you know which one to switch to for cleaning your floors. You operate the vacuum without the base attachment for the steam function and then when it is time to steam, it magnetically grabs to the bottom and you are ready to go.
- The steam mop functions beautifully and with ease. It takes roughly thirty seconds for the steam to heat up and then you lean the arm of the vacuum down and push across your floors to steam them. You don’t even have to hold down a trigger to start the steam function; it automatically goes when you have switched to the steam mop. The steam is not a heavy steam and the steaming is pretty consistent throughout without bubbling or any wet spots on the floors. With heavier spots, it might require another once over, but for the most part the steaming works very effectively!
- The steam mop comes with a separate container and funnel that you use to pour the water into the reservoir in the back. I really did like the separate tank that my Bissell had because I didn’t have to keep track of extra parts. The reservoir is not very big too, but did do a surprisingly good job with a very little amount of water used. It only took about half the tank to get my entire kitchen and hallway clean.
- The vacuum is not great- it is definitely a quick vac. This will work beautifully in areas with lesser debris like your bathrooms and maybe a quick vacuuming after the kids are done with lunch, but it seems to struggle picking up larger debris. I wish it was cordless too because a vacuum like this feels like a charging base would be more ideal for the quick vacuuming under my kitchen tables and requires a bit more effort when a cord is involved.
Other than those two cons though, I am really impressed, particularly with the design of this product. It would make a wonderful addition to your cleaning tools and if you haven’t tried steaming your floors before, I swear that you will never go back to those expensive one-use products!
Suggested Retail Price: $149.00
Website for More Information: Shark 2-in-1 Vac-then-Steam
This product was received as a review sample. The thoughts and opinions expressed will always be honest and heartfelt and no reflection on receiving a sample copy. We promise to always do our best to also give away each of these products to our readers because it is always better to give than to receive! Want to know more about how things are handled here at MomAdvice? Be sure to read our Disclaimer which clearly states how things work and know that we will always offer only the best reviews to our readers.