If you have been a reader to this blog for awhile, you know that there is nothing I love more than sweet and salty combined together. If you put the words chocolate and sea salt in a recipe together, you can guarantee that I will love and worship the recipe.
For Father’s Day, I wanted to make a fun new treat for the dad’s in my life and knew that these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Sea Salt cookies would make an incredible treat. These offer the perfect balance in flavors. There is a lot of heartiness from the old-fashioned oatmeal in these, sweetness from tiny bits of mini chocolate chips sprinkled throughout and then a modest sprinkling of salt on the top of each of these cookies, brings all the flavors to a delicious sweet & salty finish.
I will admit that I am no pro when it comes to cookie making. I have found the two key things needed for me to succeed with cookies though is to always line my cookie sheets with parchment paper and to use a cookie scoop to get cookies that cook evenly and that are uniform.
I am always rushed when it comes to activities surrounding the holidays so I went ahead and baked these up this week for Father’s Day and placed them in my freezer for the big day. Simply follow the instructions and bake these cookies and allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack. Layer them in a freezer-safe container between sheets of waxed paper, and place them in the freezer until the night before.
If you are looking for other sweet & salty delights, be sure to give my Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Brownies a whirl or sip on my Starbucks knock-off Salted Caramel Mocha for a midday treat. They are just as delightful and a whole lot more sinful!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Cookies
Author: Adapted from Weelicious.com
Serves: 3 dozen
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 2 Cups Semisweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- Sea Salt Flakes or Kosher Salt (for sprinkling on top)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a standing or hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Stir the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the flour to the butter/sugar mixture until combined.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips mixing well until combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Press down each cookie and top with a few flakes of sea salt.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and serve.
Recipe adapted from Weelicious.
Looking for a fun way to package these for Father’s Day? I have you covered! Visit my next blog post on how to create your own DIY Chalkboard Conversation Bubble Cookie Jars today!
What is your favorite cookie?