Pumpkin pie rarely needs an adornment more than a little whipped cream on top…that is, until I decided a crunchy cranberry pie topper would be a fun way to ad a little sparkle to a piece of pie. This cranberry crunch topper is the perfect way to add a little sweetness of crushed cookies, adds that tart bite from the cranberries to the top of your pies, and rounds out the crunchy flavor with freshly toasted walnuts.
A quick whirl through your food processor is all these ingredients need to pull together for a quick homemade topper for those store-bought pies. Set out a few of these fun toppings with your favorite store-bought pie or homemade pumpkin pies this year.
Happy Thanksgiving, Friends! I will be offline preparing to host my own family for the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday with your own families!
Cranberry Crunch Pie Topping
Author: Adapted from Tyler Florence
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup pecans
- 4 ounces frozen cranberries
- 1 (2.3-ounce) package amaretto cookies (about 12) or (if your store doesn’t carry those, like mine) Vanilla Wafers (about 12)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Put the pecans on a baking sheet and bake them for 10 minutes to toast them.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Thaw the cranberries in a strainer set over a bowl to catch the liquid.
- Put the cookies, pecans, and cranberries into a food processor and pulse them a few times until they are coarsely chopped.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over your pie and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers.