Cinnamon rolls are one of those treats that I always found intimidating to make in the kitchen. Luckily, with my bread machine, these are a cinch to pull together and enjoy on a lazy Saturday morning. Today I want to share with you my bread machine cinnamon roll recipe to create this yummy treat at home in your kitchen.
Growing up, one of my favorite Saturday treats was a Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll. My mom would make these for us on Saturdays and we always fought over the ones that had the most frosting. Sadly, it was such a thrill when my dad worked in the mornings because that meant that there would be two extra rolls for us to fight over. Who could resist those rolls and the simple pleasure of having a sweet treat once a week?
I still love those cinnamon rolls, but at $1.69 a roll, they are an unnecessary addition to the grocery budget. What I do have though is flour and sugar, purchased in bulk, and a bread machine that can turn out cinnamon roll dough like nobody’s business.
The best part about making these cinnamon rolls is that you can vary the sizes and I can make mini-versions of the rolls for the little kids and tuck these in the center of the batch so that they don’t get overdone. The kids love these mini versions and I control the amount of sugar they are getting. Just give them a teeny drizzle of frosting and they will be set!
Of course, I have been know to reheat these in the microwave for a nice snack in the evening or for breakfast the next day. Place one on a microwave-safe plate and zap for about twenty seconds. It make a great snack paired with a hot cup of coffee.
Tomorrow I will be sharing more about our beloved bread machine and what you can do with it! For now, I hope you can enjoy this easy and delicious treat with your family!
Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
Author: Adapted from Food.com
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1¼ cups skim milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Cinnamon Roll Filling: ⅓ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cinnamon Roll Glaze: ½ cup powdered sugar to 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Place all ingredients in order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
- Select DOUGH CYCLE and start machine.
- Preheat your oven to 100°F and then turn off.
- When dough cycle is complete remove from machine.
- Roll out to about 12 x 15″ and spread with butter or margarine. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over all and roll up tightly .Roll it tightly and slowly, being careful to keep all the filling inside. At this point you should have a long log that you can cut your rolls from. You can wrap the dough with plastic and store in the fridge overnight or you can slice your rolls and put them on your cookie sheet or pizza stone.
- If preparing now, cut into as many rolls as you want. (I usually make ten large rolls).
- For the next day or right away: Cover with cloth and put in the warm oven for 45-60 minutes to rise.
- When doubled remove from oven.
- Turn oven to 400°F and when you put the buns in the oven, reduce temperature immediately to 375° and bake for 12-15 minutes or until done.
- When the rolls are done, drizzle your frosting over the rolls and serve them warm or room temperature (although they are best served warm).