Almost Nutra Grain Bars
1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (use only quick-cooking)
1/2 cup brown sugar (use 3/4 cup for a sweeter crust and topping)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter, plus
2 tablespoons melted butter (can use vegetable oil)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups strawberry preserves or raspberry preserves (can use a little more, or use your favorite preserves)
1. Set oven to 375 degrees (oven rack to second-bottom position).
2. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
3. In a large bowl combine cake mix, oatmeal, cinnamon and brown sugar; mix with a spatula or a large wooden spoon.
4. In a small cup whisk egg with lemon juice and vanilla until combined; add to the crumb mixture along with 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter.
5. Using a large wooden spoon toss to combine then use your fingers to finish the mixing.
6. Mix until the mixture clumps together.
7. Sprinkle a litle more than half of the crumb mixture into the pan then spread out evenly pressing firmly to cover bottom.
8. Spoon the jam carefully over the crust in the pan and spread evenly.
9. Cover with remaining crumb mixture over top of the jam then gently pat the mixture down slightly.
10. Bake for 20 minutes (the top should be very light brown).
11. Cool completely, or semi-freeze before cutting into bars (this will make cutting the bars easier).